Friday, April 30, 2010

Future Camp: To infinity...and beyond!

Sentimental reflections on future camp

I have a confession to make. I am not good at staying connected. Future camp made me think a lot about staying connected and I have to make some changes.

I’m not big on phone calls or emails to check up on friends who are away. I usually correspond only with the people around me. I never thought that not talking to people for a long time was a big issue. I favour face-to-face interaction heavily and sometimes forget social media. It makes my friends roll their eyes when I don’t check Facebook for a month.

I really like the folks here in HumberPR and it would be a shame not to see them anymore.

There is still plenty of time before HumberPR disbands into the working world but staying connected starts now. To avoid failure, I am going public with a resolution. At the moment I check Twitter, Blogspot, Facebook, Gmail and Ning regularly. I resolve to continue using these media to stay connected with the other members of HumberPR. These media are working well for me and I haven’t ignored Facebook invitations for months like I used to.

Thanks for the picture Tricky-P!

The class had some strong ideas about how to stay connected. I have plenty of confidence in the Twitter #YnotW stream and I am sure Wednesday nights will never be dull again. Why Not Wednesdays work well for people like me who sometimes fall from the social media world; the face-to-face interactions keep things real and keep friends close. I like the idea of an electronic time capsule to get everyone back together five years from now.

Kudos to Zack and Jenna for thinking up that Google Doc! It’s a great way to make people feel close. One thing to remember is that staying connected requires effort from both sides. I have no doubt that with the tenacity and mutual desire to keep in touch, this class will stay connected.

For more Future Camp info check out
Ginger's Blog
Jaymes' Blog
Rachael's Blog